The wild rice can stand as a side all by itself, but we mostly use it as one a pepper filling.
This is a warm and cozy recipe, lovely for Fall/Winter. But is also light enough to enjoy year-round.
Saute together in a large pot for 5 minutes:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter or oil
After onion is sauteed, stir in:
- 1 1/2 cups Lundberg Wild Rice Blend
- 1 1/2 cups broth or water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 28 oz canned tomatoes (not drained), chopped
- 1/2 tsp each thyme, oregano, and salt
Bring to a boil, cover, simmer for 45-55 minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
While the rice is cooking, cut off the tops and remove seeds from:
- 4 sweet peppers (any color).
Place the peppers open-side-down in a steamer and steam for about 10 minutes, until tender
Stuff the rice into the pepper. You can top with breadcrumbs and a pat of butter if you’d like. It adds a fun crunchy element to the meal. Bake 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees until everything is warmed through.
Serve with generous amounts of:
- Parmesan cheese