This is a slightly adjusted version of Elana Amsterdam’s recipe as published in her Gluten-Free Almond Flour cookbook. Erich said it reminded him of the delicious seafood burgers he always eats on our visits to South Carolina.
Rinse, pat dry and flake into bite-sized pieces:
- 1 pound salmon filet (I only buy wild salmon, not farmed, with NO color added)
In a large bowl, combine:
- flaked salmon
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions (white and green parts)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle (optional)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
Form the mixture into 2-inch patties.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 4 to 6 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer the patties to a paper-lined plate and serve hot.
These are great served with lettuce, tomato, and condiments of your choice – just like you would dress a regular burger. Erich and I both like them on sprouted buns.