We don’t use ground turkey all that often, but this is a fun way to use it. I’ve used ground beef in it’s place before, which is tasty too. You can leave the cheese out (like I normally do) and have a delicious, dairy-free dinner.
Cut off the tops and remove seeds from:
- 4 sweet peppers (any color)
Place the peppers open-side-down in a steamer and steam for about 10 minutes, until tender.
Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium heat, warm:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Add and saute about 10 minutes:
- 8 oz ground turkey
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup brown rice, already cooked
- 1 large tomato, diced OR 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce or more if you want it saucier
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and/or ricotta cheese (optional)
Stuff the meat mixture into the peppers. Bake 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees until everything is warmed through.